Thursday, October 3, 2013

Misophonia

Craig and I are in the discovery stage of Sensory Processing Disorder.  I am sure there will be more to blog about this subject in future blogs.. but for now.. thats where we are.  The discovery phase.

But while discovering, asking questions and researching... Ive done alot of thinking.

We ALL deal with some sensory issues.  Some are definitely more defined than others, like in our Jackson.  But we all deal with it.  Let me tell you about my main sensory issue that I can identify.

My brother, Ward and I have self diagnosed ourselves with Misophonia.  Have you heard of it?  Do you know what it is?

Here is Wikipedia's description-  People who have misophonia are most commonly angered, and even enraged, by common ambient sounds, such as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, eating crushed ice, eating, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, whistling or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.[8] Some are also affected by visual stimuli, such as repetitive foot or body movements, fidgeting, or movement they observe out of the corners of their eyes. Intense anxiety and avoidant behavior may develop, which can lead to decreased socialization.

You should hear Craig and Reese discussing Ward and I at family dinners.  It is REALLY FUNNY.  Growing up, we did not realize that we both struggled with it.  And honestly, as I have gotten older, I think my symptoms have gotten worse.  For me, it is noises like breathing (I have a signal for Craig when I can hear him breathing in church),  eating popcorn, biting into an apple, eating a popsicle... EATING A POPSICLE.. seriously, just typing those words out makes me feel like someone is dragging their fingers along a chalk board inside my body.  I can. not. handle it!  I try really hard to overcome it, but most of the time I just have to be in a different room when these things are happening.  I can't handle it.  

Do any of you deal with misophonia?  What causes you to go crazy?!




0 comments: