Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tasty Tuesday- Back to School Cake Balls

Jackson's first day of school is today! It is really different. Last year, I was one of his teachers, so I didnt really feel like I was "leaving" him. Well, we all know that it was discovered that teaching preschoolers was NOT my calling in life. AT ALL. So I am working part time for my brother in law. A MUCH better fit. MUCH.
So since I experienced the first day of school last year, I know how the teachers are going to feel when the day is done. Plus, I want Jackson to be their favorites. :) So, Jackson made his teachers cake balls for the first day of school. I am definitely NO bakerella, but they turned out pretty cute!!! And hopefully they will be the perfect snack for a not always perfect day.

Back to School Cake Balls

1 cake mix (whatever flavor you want)
Ingredients to make cake mix (eggs, water, oil, etc)1 can icing (whatever flavor you want)
1 package of red candy melts (I used the brand Candy Wafers from Hobby Lobby)
pretzel stickssomething green for the leaf (I used green icing, bakerella used jumbo diamond shaped sprinkles)
lollipop sticks

- Bake cake according to package directions
- Once cake is cooled completely, crumble into a large bowl.
- Mix with almost a full can of icing. I used a spatula, so it was not THAT messy.- Roll the cake into quarter sized balls. (Some of mine were bigger, I think... thats ok!)- Bakerella tells you to mold the ball into a more "apple" shape. I however, skipped this advanced step, and kept them in a real round ball.- Place the balls on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Melt a couple pieces of the melts. Stick the end of the lollipop sticks into the melted candy and then stick into cake ball, halfway into the ball. - Place cake balls in the freezer until they harden.- Melt the rest of the candy melts, according to package directions.- Dip the cake balls in the melted chocolate
- Stick a piece of the broken pretzel stick in the top of the apple- Stick in a styrofoam block to dry-Make sure to include whatever you have chosen for the leaf. In my case, I used the icing with the leaf attachment to make a leaf. :)- Make sure to print off some cute tags!-Package and deliver to the hard working teachers!! :)

FUN and YUMMY!

8 comments:

Ben and Addie said...

You are so talented!

mckenziegordon said...

Jackson definitely has one up on all the other kids! Those are SUPER cute!

Michelle said...

Those look awesome! Good job!

Julie said...

Those are sooo cute!

mgoff said...

Ummm these are super cute!

The Heskew Happenings said...

They were yummy!! And of course it was a joy having Jtrain in my class!! Thanks for the yummy snack!

Scott, Stacy, Maddie, Elle and Lola said...

WOW... I am SO impressed!!! Those look so, so cute! I might have to do this for Maddie!

The Ames Album said...

Wow that is impressive!