Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Purpose

I was blog reading tonight, and one of my friends from college had this posted. It was such an encouragement to me!

Often times I get overwhelmed the HUGE responsibility of being a parent.. considering it still doesnt seem "real" to me, that I am a mom.... How in the world do Craig and I even know what we are doing?!?!

So when I read this.. I LOVED it... this is MY purpose!!!

Person vs. Purpose

I got an encouraging email from a friend the other day that said she was praying for us as we continue to learn about parenting. She said something very profound that has challenged me and consumed me since the moment I read it: “Don’t raise a person; raise a purpose.” I’ve thought a lot more about this and here are a few things I’ve thought of:

Raising a person leads to fear. Raising a purpose promotes boldness and courage.

Raising a person limits creativity. Raising a purpose promotes dreaming wildly.

Raising a person is ownership. Raising a purpose is knowing what belongs to the Lord.

Raising a person creates worry. Raising a purpose is to fully trust the Lord.

Raising a person is to define a future. Raising a purpose allows freedom and choice.

Raising a person is selfish. Raising a purpose is to promote God’s desires.

Raising a person is defined. Raising a purpose keeps one open to the HolySpirit.

Raising a person requires plans. Raising a purpose requires following God’s direction.

Raising a person can be done alone. Raising a purpose requires the body of Christ.

Raising a person is stressful. Raising a purpose is to be filled with the joy of the Lord.


I pray that Craig and I can focus on raising a purpose! We love you J!!!!

3 comments:

Marisa said...

So true!

carissa said...

what a huge encouragment. i feel so unprepared and often at a loss... thank goodness that the Lord grants us the wisdom needed to parent with purpose!

Lindsey Rockers said...

great post and cute blog!