Monday, November 30, 2009

First Night Not Swaddled. For Real.

Ok. This picture has NOTHING to do with this post. But it makes me laugh. And I dont have a picture to go with this post, so you get to see my sweet boy have a rice krispie in his nose. HA!

Jackson has been sick. And has continually gotten worse since Thanksgiving. Like more sickly than he has ever been. Tons of snot, sneezing, coughing, dirty dirty diapers, really cranky, not sleeping well, etc. He is teething, so I, first was contributing these symptoms to cutting even more teeth. But, when his cough started getting worse, I started to get more nervous.

We already had his 9 month well baby visit scheduled for Thursday, but I decided to call and get him in today. I asked if they could do his well baby visit too. Which they did. I appreciated it!!

It was a productive meeting with Dr. Jackson. First of all, Jackson has a cold. I was very aware that this was a possibility. Like last time, I took him in for a possible ear infection, and it was really just him teething. So I paid my copay to get his ears cleaned. So it is good news that he isnt SUPER sick. But it stinks too, because they didnt give him anything. So we can keep doing what we are doing.

I do love his well baby visits. I love to see how he is growing! He is 17 1/2 pounds (6th percentile). He is 28 1/2 inches long (54 percentile). And his head is in the 77th percentile! :) We are supposed to start giving him more table food. Which is fun. But makes me nervous too. He just has 4 teeth. Working on 5 and 6. But I guess kids do it all the time.

But the big news coming from this doctors appointment, and I expected it.. we were ordered to quit swaddling Jackson. I knew that we needed to. I knew that he was becoming dependant on it. I knew that it was never going to be something that he could do to himself. And I knew that Craig and I were never truly going to get to "sleep through the night", until we quit swaddling him. BUT, I also knew the breaking of the habit could be really tough. And I dreaded that. But, it has to be done.

So, we threw away his swaddle blanket. We did not want to be tempted when the nights got long and the crying to loud. The first nap was a bit difficult. But it was fine. Jackson and I are just going to have to learn how to communicate again when it comes to sleeping. It took a bit longer for him to go to sleep this evening (30 minutes). I know this is better in the long run, but tonight might be tough.

I will keep you updated. But until then, here is another cute picture of my baby and his Rice Krispies.


HG said...

Ha!! I love that picture!

I hear ya about table food. It's exciting and scary all at the same time! I was a nervous wreck at first and tore everything into microscopic pieces.

I hope that baby Jackson gets better ASAP!

Leslie said...

That's got to be so tough! Keep us posted on how it goes!

mgoff said...

He is so cute! You will be surprised by how much food he is able to gum from the table!

erinkern said...

Good luck with the first night! Let us know how it goes for all involved....! :)

Emily said...

30 minutes in night 2 is great!!!! Keep up the good (hard!) work and stay strong! It will be soooo worth it.