Monday, May 23, 2011

McKinley's Room

My baby girl's room is finished. Well, we need a few baby "necessities", but for the most part the decorating is done. And I LOVE IT! As soon as I found out that McKinley was a girl, and that she was sick.. I knew that I wanted her room to be pretty and peaceful. I have this idea of what I think her recovery will be like at home (which means, it will be probably 100% different).. but in my vision of her recovery, we are going to be spending alot of time in her room, letting her rest.. while her 2 year old brother is able to be a toddler in the rest of the house. Eventually, I want McKinley to have my bed, that is at my parents house.. so that is why we decided to go with the crib we did. I didnt feel it necessary to buy one that would eventually convert to a full size bed, like we did with Jackson's. This will convert to a toddler bed, which is perfect. Of course, with a girl, I wanted her to have a chandelier. But, we are really fan people in our house.. so I am not sure how long it will stay! But, I figure at least while she is a newborn, she can have it. :) My parents got a new chandelier in their dining room, and so mom gave me their old shiny brass chandelier. I spray painted it and it turned out looking EXACTLY how I wanted it! YAY for free! My parents also got a new mantel in their house, and I told mom I wanted her old one and would figure out a way to incorporate it in a baby room (they did this before I was pg). It ended up being the right color for the crib and everything. I love the way it looks.

When we announced that we were having a girl, one of my dear friends asked me if I would let her make McKinley's bedding. I had seen her work, and was AMAZED to say the least. She is super talented. And what a gift! She told me that she promised she would pray for McKinley with every stitch. What a blessing! She told me to do some research on what I liked, so I found some bedding on poshtots.com, that I really liked.. she duplicated it perfectly! We went fabric shopping together, which was so much fun! It was fun to be able to pick out exactly what McKinley's bedding would look like! And I could NOT be more pleased. It is PERFECT! It is just what I wanted. So classic. I just love toile! :)



When we had Jackson, we did not splurge and get a chair. We had a wooden rocking chair that Craig's great grandfather made. It was special and perfect for Jacksons room. The truth is, we really didnt use it much. Because Jackson was our first baby, alot of our rocking and snuggling was done in the living room. Well again, with McKinley, we figure that we will spend more time in her room. And that Craig and I might spend more time with her in the evenings in there.. we wanted a comfy place for us to be with her. So we did splurge and get a Best Chair. We dont even have McKinley yet, and we love it! Denise also made a super cute throw pillow for the chair! The dresser was my Memaw's! When my Memaw passed away, she left her furniture to me, which was a HUGE blessing. Just graduating from college, it was so nice! Well this piece of furniture has been in my bedroom and my guest room exactly as it was in my Memaw's house.. it was a honey brown color. We painted it black and put it in Jackson's room as his changing table. And then we moved it into McKinley's room, painted it a really light icy pink color and added clear glass knobs. I feel like it looks like a totally new piece. I LOVE IT! I found the lamp at Hobby Lobby for half price and the mirror at The Rink. I just think it completes the look of her room!


Now, all we need is baby girl!!!!!!!





7 comments:

Leslie said...

Beautiful! Such a soothing, classic room!

Erin said...

Love it all! Had I made it to The Rink before you, that mirror would have been MINE!! ;) Can't wait to see your baby girl!

Missy said...

I really love the dresser. Everything looks great!

Dara Steward said...

So beautiful! What a lucky girl. You guys did an awesome job! LOVE IT!

Kendra said...

very classy and elegant room and fit for your princess. It looks so peaceful.

mgoff said...

LOVE how it turned out! Cant wait to see it in person! She will be here soon!

Shara said...

I agree with Leslie - so soothing and classy! And don't you just want to sit in that chair all day long? We have one upstairs and downstairs, and LOVE them. :) Now all we need to see in that sweet room is a sweet baby girl!