Thursday, December 30, 2010

Plans and Babies

They just DONT go together.

For instance. Craig and I started trying to have a new baby right after Ward and Reese's wedding. That was the perfect time.. the baby would be born right around Jacksons birthday, which for the calendar of a youth minister, is PERFECT. Sure, its D-Now season... but its not like its the summer. The season when I am lucky to see my husband at all. So our plan was perfect. Well..... plans and babies just dont go together. We got pregnant, and we are both SO thankful. But, do you know when the baby is due??? July 13th. Right smack dab in the middle of summer. 2 weeks after Super Summer, and a week and a half before Falls Creek. The really GREAT thing is it isnt landing on either of those events. (So, friends, if anyone wants to save the week of July 25th to help me out... I would appreciate it! Seriously)

Another for instance. Jackson is still sleeping in his crib. And Jackson LOVES his paci. Who am I kidding, Craig and I LOVE Jackson's paci. But, we want all big transitions to happen before the baby gets here. After much thought and consideration, we figured it would be best to take the paci away first, and then tackle the big boy bed. I mean, Jackson hasnt even figured how to crawl out of his crib yet. So no hurry there. So, Craig and I's GREAT plan, was starting after the holidays (so that would be THIS Saturday night), we would take away his paci. I was going to attempt the snip off the end method, so it wouldnt have the correct suckage that he likes... WELL WELL WELL... today, I am at work, and I get a text from Craig with the following:
"we are in trouble"
Ummmmm... "why?"
"Jackson just crawled out of his crib"

I could NOT believe it! In just TWO days we were going to start taking the paci away, and he figured out how to crawl out of his crib. So I call Craig..

"he crawled out of his crib?!?!"
"yes, I was in our room reading, and the monitor was on, I heard nothing, and then all of a sudden I heard "ding ding ding ding", the sound of one of his toys. and I thought, how is that toy making that noise, so I go to his room, and he is playing with his toys."

Plans and Babies do not go together... I guess we will be transitioning to the big boy bed instead. I will keep you updated.

7 comments:

Jere and Cara said...

CONGRATS :)

Missy said...

Dannnnggg.
P.S. I am also a widow during the summer. :)

Erin said...

Sorry friend, but I had to chuckle at this a little! I think God likes to screw around with us every now and then just to see if we're paying attention. ;) Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Hey, we have some mutual friends and I am also a youth minister's wife. I had to comment on this post because the same thing has happened to us with getting pregnant with #2. We wanted to be due in the spring, but I am due June 16th. Our Falls Creek is the first week of June and Super Summer for us starts on my actual due date, so I am not sure whether to hope for early or late :) Either way, Dad better have his phone on him and drive real fast :)

Melinda Rowan

Kendra said...

I am friend of Amanda Isaacs. She and I went to SHBC together growing up and I enjoy reading your blog.
I just wanted to comment on the pacifier and the process of taking it away. I have 4 kids, 3 boys, ages 8, 4, 3 and a daughter, age 1. My first and third sucked their thumbs and my second and fourth sucked pacifiers. When I took my second son to his 18 month well check she told me to get rid of the paci. We had already been limiting it to naptime and bedtime only. Against my instincts, which told me to first limit it to only bedtime and then get rid of altogether, I followed the pediatrician and took it away completely. He still needed comfort so he began sucking his finger. not pretty. All kids are different so only you know your child. I just suggest not rushing it. Of course with a new sibling coming as it gets closer to his/her arrival he could give his pacifiers to baby bro/sis. I'm like you and LOVE the pacifiers as much or more than the babies do. It makes things so easy sometimes. Best wishes on the rest of your pregnancy!

Scott, Stacy, Maddie, Elle and Lola said...

oh yikes! hope all the transitions go well!!! Hopefully you will be surprised at how well it all goes... maybe?!?!

mgoff said...

oh dear.....